Capable of destroying the texture of anything or eating away its substance by chemical action; burning; corrosive; searing.
- Capable of burning, corroding, dissolving, or eating away by chemical action.
- Corrosive and bitingly trenchant; cutting. See Synonyms at sarcastic.
- Causing a burning or stinging sensation, as from intense emotion: "Most of all, there is caustic shame for my own stupidity” ( Scott Turow).
- A caustic material or substance.
- A hydroxide of a light metal.
- The enveloping surface formed by light rays reflecting or refracting from a curved surface, especially one with spherical aberration.