To extol or honor in a solemn manner; as, to celebrate the name of the Most High.
- To observe (a day or event) with ceremonies of respect, festivity, or rejoicing. See Synonyms at observe.
- To perform (a religious ceremony): celebrate Mass.
- To extol or praise: a sonnet that celebrates love.
- To make widely known; display: "a determination on the author's part to celebrate . . . the offenses of another” ( William H. Pritchard).
- To observe an occasion with appropriate ceremony or festivity.
- To perform a religious ceremony.
- To engage in festivities: went out and celebrated after the victory.