One who engages in any contest; esp. one who in ancient times contended in single combat in behalf of another's honor or rights; or one who now acts or speaks in behalf of a person or a cause; a defender; an advocate; a hero.
- One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
- One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner: a champion at teaching.
- An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the homeless.
- One who fights; a warrior.
- To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See Synonyms at support.
- Obsolete To defy or challenge.
- Holding first place or prize: a champion show dog.
- Superior to all others: "the champion playboy of the Western World” ( John Millington Synge).