One of the several species of fishes of the genus Salvelinus, allied to the spotted trout and salmon, inhabiting deep lakes in mountainous regions in Europe. In the United States, the brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) is sometimes called a char.
- To burn the surface of; scorch.
- To reduce to carbon or charcoal by incomplete combustion.
- To become scorched.
- To become reduced to carbon or charcoal. See Synonyms at burn1.
- A substance that has been scorched, burned, or reduced to charcoal.
- Any of several fishes of the genus Salvelinus, especially the arctic char, related to the trout and salmon.
- A charwoman.
- To work as a charwoman.