Impure carbon prepared from vegetable or animal substances; esp., coal made by charring wood in a kiln, retort, etc., from which air is excluded. It is used for fuel and in various mechanical, artistic, and chemical processes.
- A black, porous, carbonaceous material, 85 to 98 percent carbon, produced by the destructive distillation of wood and used as a fuel, filter, and absorbent.
- A drawing pencil or crayon made from this material.
- A drawing executed with such a pencil or crayon.
- A dark grayish brown to black or dark purplish gray.
- To draw, write, or blacken with a black, carbonaceous material.
- To charbroil.