To bite and grind with the teeth; to masticate.
- To bite and grind with the teeth; masticate.
- To meditate on; ponder: chew a problem over.
- To make a crushing and grinding motion with the teeth.
- To cogitate; meditate: chewed on the difficulties ahead.
- Informal To use chewing tobacco.
- The act of chewing.
- Something held in the mouth and chewed, especially a plug of tobacco. See Regional Note at chaw.
- chew out Slang To reprimand; scold.
- chew the cud Slang To ponder over; meditate.
- fat Slang To talk together in a friendly, leisurely way; chat at length.