To make choice of; to select; to take by way of preference from two or more objects offered; to elect; as, to choose the least of two evils.
- To select from a number of possible alternatives; decide on and pick out.
- To prefer above others: chooses the supermarket over the neighborhood grocery store.
- To determine or decide: chose to fly rather than drive.
- To make a choice; make a selection: was used to doing as she chose.
- choose up To choose players and form sides or teams for a game, such as baseball or softball.
- cannot choose but Can only do; cannot do otherwise: We cannot choose but to observe the rules.