An official summons or notice given to a person to appear; the paper containing such summons or notice.
- The act of citing.
- A quoting of an authoritative source for substantiation.
- A source so cited; a quotation.
- Law A reference to previous court decisions or authoritative writings.
- Enumeration or mention, as of facts, especially:
- An official commendation for meritorious action, especially in military service: a citation for bravery.
- A formal statement of the accomplishments of one being honored with an academic degree.
- An official summons, especially one calling for appearance in court.