The act of clearing; as, to make a thorough clearance.
- The act or process of clearing.
- A space cleared; a clearing.
- The amount of space or distance by which a moving object clears something.
- The height or width of a passage: an underpass with a 13-foot clearance.
- An intervening space or distance allowing free play, as between machine parts.
- Permission for an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle to proceed, as after an inspection of equipment or cargo or during certain traffic conditions.
- Official certification of blamelessness, trustworthiness, or suitability.
- A sale, generally at reduced prices, to dispose of old merchandise.
- The passage of checks and other bills of exchange through a clearing-house.
- Physiology The removal by the kidneys of a substance from blood plasma.
- Physiology Renal clearance.