- A cell, group of cells, or organism that is descended from and genetically identical to a single common ancestor, such as a bacterial colony whose members arose from a single original cell.
- An organism descended asexually from a single ancestor, such as a plant produced by layering or a polyp produced by budding.
- A DNA sequence, such as a gene, that is transferred from one organism to another and replicated by genetic engineering techniques.
- One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: "filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits” ( Michael M. Thomas).
- To make multiple identical copies of (a DNA sequence).
- To create or propagate (an organism) from a clone cell: clone a sheep.
- To reproduce or propagate asexually: clone a plant variety.
- To produce a copy of; imitate closely: "The look has been cloned into cliché” ( Cathleen McGuigan).
- To grow as a clone.