A small room or apartment for retirement; a room for privacy.
- A cabinet or enclosed recess for linens, household supplies, or clothing.
- A small private chamber, as for study or prayer.
- A water closet; a toilet.
- A state of secrecy or cautious privacy: Two days before the election, the candidate suddenly came out of the closet and denounced the proposed law.
- To enclose or shut up in a private room, as for discussion: closeted themselves with their attorneys.
- Private; confidential: closet information.
- Being so or engaging only in private; secret: a closet proponent of a tax increase; a closet alcoholic.
- Based on theory and speculation rather than practice.