To wind cylindrically or spirally; as, to coil a rope when not in use; the snake coiled itself before springing.
- A series of connected spirals or concentric rings formed by gathering or winding: a coil of rope; long coils of hair.
- An individual spiral or ring within such a series.
- A spiral pipe or series of spiral pipes, as in a radiator.
- Electricity A wound spiral of two or more turns of insulated wire, used to introduce inductance into a circuit.
- Electricity Any of various devices of which such a spiral is the major component.
- A roll of postage stamps prepared for use in a vending machine.
- To wind in concentric rings or spirals.
- To wind into a shape resembling a coil.
- To form concentric rings or spirals.
- To move in a spiral course: black smoke coiling up into the sky.
- A disturbance; a fuss.