Coming from, being on, or directed toward, the side; as, collateral pressure.
- Situated or running side by side; parallel.
- Coinciding in tendency or effect; concomitant or accompanying.
- Serving to support or corroborate: collateral evidence.
- Of a secondary nature; subordinate: collateral target damage from a bombing run.
- Of, relating to, or guaranteed by a security pledged against the performance of an obligation: a collateral loan.
- Having an ancestor in common but descended from a different line.
- Property acceptable as security for a loan or other obligation.
- A collateral relative.