To examine the character or qualities of, as of two or more persons or things, for the purpose of discovering their resemblances or differences; to bring into comparison; to regard with discriminating attention.
- To consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous; liken.
- To examine in order to note the similarities or differences of.
- Grammar To form the positive, comparative, or superlative degree of (an adjective or adverb).
- To be worthy of comparison; bear comparison: two concert halls that just do not compare.
- To draw comparisons.
- Comparison: a musician beyond compare.
- compare notes To exchange ideas, views, or opinions.