To form by putting together two or more things or parts; to put together; to make up; to fashion.
- To make up the constituent parts of; constitute or form: an exhibit composed of French paintings; the many ethnic groups that compose our nation. See Usage Note at comprise.
- To make or create by putting together parts or elements.
- To create or produce (a literary or musical piece).
- To make (oneself) calm or tranquil: Compose yourself and deal with the problems logically.
- To settle or adjust; reconcile: They managed to compose their differences.
- To arrange aesthetically or artistically.
- Printing To arrange or set (type or matter to be printed).
- To create a literary or musical piece.
- Printing To set type.