A mutual agreement to refer matters in dispute to the decision of arbitrators.
- A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions.
- The result of such a settlement.
- Something that combines qualities or elements of different things: The incongruous design is a compromise between high tech and early American.
- A concession to something detrimental or pejorative: a compromise of morality.
- To arrive at a settlement by making concessions.
- To reduce the quality, value, or degree of something.
- To expose or make liable to danger, suspicion, or disrepute: a secret mission that was compromised and had to be abandoned; compromise one's standing in the community.
- To reduce in quality, value, or degree; weaken or lower.
- To impair by disease or injury: an immune system that was compromised by a virus.
- To settle by mutual concessions: a dispute that was compromised.