That which is conceived, imagined, or formed in the mind; idea; thought; image; conception.
- A favorable and especially unduly high opinion of one's own abilities or worth.
- An ingenious or witty turn of phrase or thought.
- A fanciful poetic image, especially an elaborate or exaggerated comparison.
- A poem or passage consisting of such an image.
- The result of intellectual activity; a thought or an opinion.
- A fanciful thought or idea.
- A fancy article; a knickknack.
- An extravagant, fanciful, and elaborate construction or structure: "An eccentric addition to the lobby is a life-size wooden horse, a 19th century conceit” ( Mimi Sheraton).
- Chiefly British To take a fancy to.
- Obsolete To understand; conceive.