To receive into the womb and begin to breed; to begin the formation of the embryo of.
- To become pregnant with (offspring).
- To form or develop in the mind; devise: conceive a plan to increase profits.
- To apprehend mentally; understand: couldn't conceive the meaning of that sentence.
- To be of the opinion that; think: didn't conceive such a tragedy could occur.
- To begin or originate in a specific way: a political movement conceived in the ferment of the 1960s.
- To form or hold an idea: Ancient peoples conceived of the earth as flat.
- To become pregnant.