The act of confederating; a league; a compact for mutual support; alliance, particularly of princes, nations, or states.
- The act of forming into or becoming part of a confederacy.
- The state of being confederated.
- A group of confederates, especially of states or nations, united for a common purpose; a league.
- The union of the British North American colonies of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the Province of Canada, brought about July 1, 1867, under the name Dominion of Canada.
- The federal union of all the Canadian provinces and territories, the most recent member being Newfoundland in 1949.