To give, transfer, or deliver, in a formal manner, as if by signing over into the possession of another, or into a different state, with the sense of fixedness in that state, or permanence of possession; as, to consign the body to the grave.
- To give over to the care of another; entrust.
- To turn over permanently to another's charge or to a lasting condition; commit irrevocably: "Their desponding imaginations had already consigned him to a watery grave” ( William Hickling Prescott).
- To deliver (merchandise, for example) for custody or sale.
- To set apart, as for a special use or purpose; assign. See Synonyms at commit.
- Obsolete To submit; consent.