To cheer in distress or depression; to alleviate the grief and raise the spirits of; to relieve; to comfort; to soothe.
- To allay the sorrow or grief of. See Synonyms at comfort.
- A cabinet for a radio, television set, or phonograph, designed to stand on the floor.
- A small freestanding storage cabinet.
- Music The desklike part of an organ that contains the keyboard, stops, and pedals.
- A central control panel for a mechanical, electrical, or electronic system.
- An instrument panel.
- The portion of a computer or peripheral that houses the apparatus used to operate the machine manually and provides a means of communication between the computer operator and the central processing unit, often in the form of a keyboard.
- A small storage compartment mounted between bucket seats in an automobile.
- An often scroll-shaped bracket used for decoration or for supporting a projecting member, such as a cornice or shelf.
- A console table.