To cause to stand; to establish; to enact.
- To be the elements or parts of; compose: Copper and tin constitute bronze.
- To amount to; equal: " Rabies is transmitted through a bite; . . . patting a rabid animal in itself does not constitute exposure” ( Malcolm W. Browne).
- To set up or establish according to law or provision: a body that is duly constituted under the charter.
- To found (an institution, for example).
- To enact (a law or regulation).
- To appoint to an office, dignity, function, or task; designate.