A crown or garland bestowed among the Romans as a reward for distinguished services.
- Astronomy A faintly colored luminous ring appearing to surround a celestial body visible through a haze or thin cloud, especially such a ring around the moon or sun, caused by diffraction of light from suspended matter in the intervening medium. Also called aureole.
- Astronomy The luminous irregular envelope of highly ionized gas outside the chromosphere of the sun.
- Architecture The projecting top part of a cornice.
- A cigar with a long tapering body and blunt ends.
- Anatomy The crownlike upper portion of a bodily part or structure, such as the top of the head.
- Botany A crown-shaped, funnel-shaped, or trumpet-shaped outgrowth or appendage of the perianth of certain flowers, such as the daffodil or the spider lily. Also called crown.
- Electricity A faint glow enveloping the high-field electrode in a corona discharge, often accompanied by streamers directed toward the low-field electrode.