One collaterally related more remotely than a brother or sister; especially, the son or daughter of an uncle or aunt.
- A child of one's aunt or uncle. Also called first cousin.
- A relative descended from a common ancestor, such as a grandparent, by two or more steps in a diverging line.
- A relative by blood or marriage; a kinsman or kinswoman.
- A member of a kindred group or country: our Canadian cousins.
- Something similar in quality or character: "There's no mistaking soca for its distant Jamaican cousin, reggae” ( Michael Saunders).
- Used as a form of address by a sovereign in addressing another sovereign or a high-ranking member of the nobility.