The rules and principles which regulate the practice of the critic; the art of judging with knowledge and propriety of the beauties and faults of a literary performance, or of a production in the fine arts; as, dramatic criticism.
- The act of criticizing, especially adversely.
- A critical comment or judgment.
- The practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works.
- A critical article or essay; a critique.
- The investigation of the origin and history of literary documents; textual criticism.