To call upon divine or supernatural power to send injury upon; to imprecate evil upon; to execrate.
- An appeal or prayer for evil or misfortune to befall someone or something.
- The evil or misfortune that comes in or as if in response to such an appeal: bewailed the curse of ill health.
- One that is accursed.
- A source or cause of evil; a scourge: "Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race” ( William Ewart Gladstone).
- A profane word or phrase; a swearword.
- Ecclesiastical A censure, ban, or anathema.
- Slang Menstruation. Used with the.
- To invoke evil or misfortune upon; damn.
- To swear at.
- To bring evil upon; afflict: was cursed with crippling arthritis.
- Ecclesiastical To put under a ban or an anathema; excommunicate.
- To utter curses; swear.