A case or bag stuffed with some soft and elastic material, and used to sit or recline upon; a soft pillow or pad.
- A pad or pillow with a soft filling, used for resting, reclining, or kneeling.
- Something resilient used as a rest, support, or shock absorber.
- A mat placed or attached beneath carpeting to provide softness and increase durability.
- A padlike body part.
- Games The rim bordering the playing surface of a billiard table.
- A pillow used in lacemaking.
- Something that mitigates or relieves an adverse effect: extra funds serving as a cushion against future inflation.
- To provide with a cushion: cushion a bench.
- To place or seat on a cushion.
- To cover or hide (something) with or as if with a cushion.
- To protect from impacts or other disturbing effects: an automobile suspension that cushions the ride.
- To mitigate the effects of; absorb the shock of: cushion a blow.