One who receives free tickets for theaters, public conveyances, etc.
- A person who uses a free ticket for admittance, accommodation, or entertainment.
- A vehicle, such as an aircraft, that transports no passengers or freight during a trip.
- A person regarded as dull-witted or sluggish.
- A partially submerged log or trunk.
- To pilot or drive (a vehicle) carrying no passengers or freight.
- To pull (dead or dying blossoms) off a flower.
- To make a trip without passengers or freight: "The instruments were out, and it meant they had to deadhead back on another airplane” ( Walter J. Boyne).
- To bypass a senior employee in order to promote a more junior employee.
- Without passengers or freight; empty.