A dignitary or presiding officer in certain ecclesiastical and lay bodies; esp., an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop.
- An administrative officer in charge of a college, faculty, or division in a university.
- An officer of a college or high school who counsels students and supervises the enforcement of rules.
- Ecclesiastical The head of the chapter of canons governing a cathedral or collegiate church.
- Roman Catholic Church A priest appointed to oversee a group of parishes within a diocese.
- The senior member of a body or group: the dean of the Washington diplomatic corps.