To bend, or lean downward; to take a downward direction; to bend over or hang down, as from weakness, weariness, despondency, etc.; to condescend.
- To express polite refusal.
- To slope downward; descend.
- To bend downward; droop.
- To degrade or lower oneself; condescend.
- To deteriorate gradually; fail.
- To sink, as the setting sun.
- To draw to a gradual close; wane.
- To refuse politely: I declined their offer of help. See Synonyms at refuse1.
- To cause to slope or bend downward.
- Grammar To inflect (a noun, a pronoun, or an adjective) for number and case.
- The process or result of declining, especially a gradual deterioration.
- A downward movement.
- The period when something approaches an end.
- A downward slope; a declivity.
- A disease that gradually weakens or wastes the body.