An order from one having authority, deciding what is to be done by a subordinate; also, a determination by one having power, deciding what is to be done or to take place; edict, law; authoritative ru&?;&?; decision.
- An authoritative order having the force of law.
- Law The judgment of a court of equity, admiralty, probate, or divorce.
- Roman Catholic Church A doctrinal or disciplinary act of an ecumenical council.
- Roman Catholic Church An administrative act applying or interpreting articles of canon law.
- To ordain, establish, or decide by decree. See Synonyms at dictate.
- To issue a decree.