The act of defining; determination of the limits; as, a telescope accurate in definition.
- A statement conveying fundamental character.
- A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.
- The act or process of stating a precise meaning or significance; formulation of a meaning.
- The act of making clear and distinct: a definition of one's intentions.
- The state of being closely outlined or determined: "With the drizzle, the trees in the little clearing had lost definition” ( Anthony Hyde).
- A determination of outline, extent, or limits: the definition of a President's authority.
- The clarity of detail in an optically produced image, such as a photograph, effected by a combination of resolution and contrast.
- The degree of clarity with which a televised image or broadcast signal is received.