To reduce from a higher to a lower rank or degree; to lower in rank; to deprive of office or dignity; to strip of honors; as, to degrade a nobleman, or a general officer.
- To reduce in grade, rank, or status; demote.
- To lower in dignity; dishonor or disgrace: a scandal that degraded the participants.
- To lower in moral or intellectual character; debase.
- To reduce in worth or value: degrade a currency.
- To impair in physical structure or function.
- Geology To lower or wear by erosion or weathering.
- To cause (an organic compound) to undergo degradation.
- To fall below a normal state; deteriorate.
- To undergo degradation; decompose: a chemical that degrades rapidly.