To deprive of its natural qualities; change the nature of.
- To change the nature or natural qualities of.
- To render unfit to eat or drink without destroying usefulness in other applications, especially to add methanol to (ethyl alcohol).
- Biochemistry To cause the tertiary structure of (a protein) to unfold, as with heat, alkali, or acid, so that some of its original properties, especially its biological activity, are diminished or eliminated.
- Biochemistry To cause the paired strands of (double-stranded DNA) to separate into individual single strands.
- Physics To add nonfissionable matter to (fissionable material) so as to prevent use in an atomic weapon.