The act of gainsaying, refusing, or disowning; negation; -- the contrary of affirmation.
- A refusal to comply with or satisfy a request.
- A refusal to grant the truth of a statement or allegation; a contradiction.
- Law The opposing by a defendant of an allegation of the plaintiff.
- A refusal to accept or believe something, such as a doctrine or belief.
- Psychology An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.
- The act of disowning or disavowing; repudiation.
- Abstinence; self-denial.