Originally, a double song; a melody or counterpoint sung above the plain song of the tenor; a variation of an air; a variation by ornament of the main subject or plain song.
- Music An ornamental melody or counterpoint sung or played above a theme.
- Music The highest part sung in part music.
- A discussion or discourse on a theme.
- To comment at length; discourse: "He used to descant critically on the dishes which had been at table” ( James Boswell).
- Music To sing or play a descant.
- Music To sing melodiously.