The act of descending, or passing downward; change of place from higher to lower.
- The act or an instance of descending.
- A way down.
- A downward incline or passage; a slope.
- Hereditary derivation; lineage: a person of African descent.
- One generation of a specific lineage.
- The fact or process of coming down or being derived from a source: a paper tracing the descent of the novel from old picaresque tales.
- Development in form or structure during transmission from an original source.
- Law Transference of property by inheritance.
- A lowering or decline, as in status or level: Her career went into a rapid descent after the charges of misconduct.
- A sudden visit or attack; an onslaught.