Without hope; given to despair; hopeless.
- Having lost all hope; despairing.
- Marked by, arising from, or showing despair: the desperate look of hunger; a desperate cry for help.
- Reckless or violent because of despair: a desperate criminal.
- Undertaken out of extreme urgency or as a last resort: a desperate attempt to save the family business.
- Nearly hopeless; critical: a desperate illness; a desperate situation.
- Suffering or driven by great need or distress: desperate for recognition.
- Extremely intense: felt a desperate urge to tell the truth.