The art or act of recognizing the presence of disease from its signs or symptoms, and deciding as to its character; also, the decision arrived at.
- Medicine The act or process of identifying or determining the nature and cause of a disease or injury through evaluation of patient history, examination, and review of laboratory data.
- Medicine The opinion derived from such an evaluation.
- A critical analysis of the nature of something.
- The conclusion reached by such analysis.
- Biology A brief description of the distinguishing characteristics of an organism, as for taxonomic classification.