Same as Dialectics.
- The art or practice of arriving at the truth by the exchange of logical arguments.
- The process especially associated with Hegel of arriving at the truth by stating a thesis, developing a contradictory antithesis, and combining and resolving them into a coherent synthesis.
- Hegel's critical method for the investigation of this process.
- The Marxian process of change through the conflict of opposing forces, whereby a given contradiction is characterized by a primary and a secondary aspect, the secondary succumbing to the primary, which is then transformed into an aspect of a new contradiction. Often used in the plural with a singular or plural verb.
- The Marxian critique of this process.
- A method of argument or exposition that systematically weighs contradictory facts or ideas with a view to the resolution of their real or apparent contradictions.
- The contradiction between two conflicting forces viewed as the determining factor in their continuing interaction.