The act of differing; the state or measure of being different or unlike; distinction; dissimilarity; unlikeness; variation; as, a difference of quality in paper; a difference in degrees of heat, or of light; what is the difference between the innocent and the guilty?
- The quality or condition of being unlike or dissimilar.
- An instance of disparity or unlikeness.
- A degree or amount by which things differ.
- A specific point or element that distinguishes one thing from another.
- A noticeable change or effect: Exercise has made a difference in her health.
- A disagreement or controversy.
- A cause of a disagreement or controversy.
- Discrimination in taste or choice; distinction.
- Mathematics The amount by which one quantity is greater or less than another.
- Mathematics The amount that remains after one quantity is subtracted from another.
- Archaic A distinct mark or peculiarity.
- To distinguish or differentiate.