Having the difference marked; distinguished by certain tokens.
- To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available.
- To make sensible decisions; judge wisely.
- To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies.
- To perceive the distinguishing features of; recognize as distinct: discriminate right from wrong.
- To distinguish by noting differences; differentiate: unable to discriminate colors.
- To make or constitute a distinction in or between: methods that discriminate science from pseudoscience.