To deal out in portions; to distribute; to give; as, the steward dispenses provisions according directions; Nature dispenses her bounties; to dispense medicines.
- To deal out in parts or portions; distribute. See Synonyms at distribute.
- To prepare and give out (medicines).
- To administer (laws, for example).
- To exempt or release, as from a duty or religious obligation.
- To grant a dispensation or exemption.
- dispense with To manage without; forgo: Let's dispense with the formalities.
- dispense with To get rid of; do away with: a country that has dispensed with tariff barriers.