The act of displacing, or the state of being displaced; a putting out of place.
- The act of displacing.
- The condition of having been displaced.
- Chemistry A reaction in which an atom, radical, or molecule replaces another in a compound.
- Physics A vector or the magnitude of a vector from the initial position to a subsequent position assumed by a body.
- Physics The weight or volume of a fluid displaced by a floating body, used especially as a measurement of the weight or bulk of ships.
- The volume displaced by a single stroke of a piston in an engine or pump.
- Geology The relative movement between the two sides of a fault.
- Geology The distance between the two sides of a fault. Also called dislocation.
- Psychiatry A psychological defense mechanism in which there is an unconscious shift of emotions, affect, or desires from the original object to a more acceptable or immediate substitute.