To contend in argument; to argue against something maintained, upheld, or claimed, by another; to discuss; to reason; to debate; to altercate; to wrangle.
- To argue about; debate.
- To question the truth or validity of; doubt: Her friends disputed her intentions.
- To strive to win (a prize, for example); contest for: Our team disputed the visitors' claim to the championship.
- To strive against; resist: disputed the actions of his competitors.
- To engage in discussion or argument; debate. See Synonyms at discuss.
- To quarrel angrily.
- A verbal controversy; a debate.
- An angry altercation; a quarrel. See Synonyms at argument.