grief; sorrow; lamentation.
- Charitable dispensation of goods, especially money, food, or clothing.
- A share of money, food, or clothing that has been charitably given.
- Chiefly British The distribution by the government of relief payments to the unemployed; welfare.
- Archaic One's fate.
- To dispense as charity.
- To give out in small portions; distribute sparingly. See Synonyms at distribute.
- on the dole Receiving regular relief payments from or as if from the government.
- Archaic Sorrow; grief; dolor.