Any instrument used to gather or take by dragging; as:
- Any of various machines equipped with scooping or suction devices and used to deepen harbors and waterways and in underwater mining.
- Nautical A boat or barge equipped with a dredge.
- An implement consisting of a net on a frame, used for gathering shellfish.
- To clean, deepen, or widen with a dredge.
- To bring up with a dredge: dredged up the silt.
- To come up with; unearth: dredged up bitter memories.
- To use a dredge: dredging for alluvial gold.
- To coat (food) by sprinkling with a powder, such as flour or sugar.