That which is due; payment.
- An act or a course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, law, or religion: Do your duty to your country.
- Moral obligation: acting out of duty.
- The compulsion felt to meet such obligation.
- A service, function, or task assigned to one, especially in the armed forces: hazardous duty.
- Function or work; service: jury duty. See Synonyms at function.
- A tax charged by a government, especially on imports.
- The work performed by a machine under specified conditions.
- A measure of efficiency expressed as the amount of work done per unit of energy used.
- The total volume of water required to irrigate a given area in order to cultivate a specific crop until harvest.
- duty bound Obliged: You are duty bound to help your little sister and brother.
- off duty Not engaged in or responsible for assigned work.
- on duty Engaged in or responsible for assigned work.