An arrangement of a body of troops when its divisions are drawn up in parallel lines each to the right or the left of the one in advance of it, like the steps of a ladder in position for climbing. Also used adjectively; as, echelon distance.
- A formation of troops in which each unit is positioned successively to the left or right of the rear unit to form an oblique or steplike line.
- A flight formation or arrangement of craft in this manner.
- A similar formation of groups, units, or individuals.
- A subdivision of a military or naval force: a command echelon.
- A level of responsibility or authority in a hierarchy; a rank: a job in the company's lower echelon.
- To arrange or take place in an echelon.