The management of domestic affairs; the regulation and government of household matters; especially as they concern expense or disbursement; as, a careful economy.
- Careful, thrifty management of resources, such as money, materials, or labor: learned to practice economy in making out the household budget.
- An example or result of such management; a saving.
- The system or range of economic activity in a country, region, or community: Effects of inflation were felt at every level of the economy.
- A specific type of economic system: an industrial economy; a planned economy.
- An orderly, functional arrangement of parts; an organized system: "the sense that there is a moral economy in the world, that good is rewarded and evil is punished” ( George F. Will).
- Efficient, sparing, or conservative use: wrote with an economy of language.
- The least expensive class of accommodations, especially on an airplane.
- Theology The method of God's government of and activity within the world.
- Economical or inexpensive to buy or use: an economy car; an economy motel.